Commercial Real Estate - Real Capital Analytics in the Press

Monday, May 5, 2014

I am back!

So, it has been quite a long time since my last post. There has been a lot going on, some good, some bad.

I have been working in commercial real estate now for 8 years. My first year was the peak of the commercial real estate market and I watched the market tumble, and tumble, and tumble. The veterans in the industry kept talking about the severity of the decline and how bad it actually was. A lot of my industry piers decided to leave the industry to get into something more stable. All of the while, I just figured that if I worked hard and created a name for myself that everything would work out.

But I did not realize that commercial real estate was going to be an addiction for me. I found myself falling in love with the chase, the wooing, the negotiations, the stress of having a deal falling apart with all of my bills being due, and the different type of people that I would meet.

If the downturn proved one thing, is that this industry is not for everyone. It is not for the faint of heart. You are going to get the shit kicked out of you and you can either take it or get up and give it right back. I have found that you can generalize or you can specialize, one actually makes money. You can hang your license with a national firm or a boutique firm, they both make money, but one of them lets you keep more.

After 8 years in this industry I have seen a lot, but there is still so much more that remains to be seen. I can honestly say that when I graduated college that I had no interest in economics, now I find myself absorbing anything and everything with regards to macro/micro economics. GDP, CPI, housing numbers, and  job growth just to name a few, have an affect on my industry. I am not saying I can predict a slump, but I hate being caught off guard.

Maybe I am being to analytical, maybe I should just let what ever happen, happen, and adjust accordingly. I think not, I believe that my clients look to me for encyclopedic knowledge of the industry, and I believe that encompasses everything that has an affect on it. My job is to put my clients in the very best position to succeed. And I don't believe in giving them anything less.

No comments:

Post a Comment